Green Grotto Caves
Ocho Rios Jamaica
A journey into the underworld, a green cavern of mystery and adventure the central feature of this natural attraction is the large labyrinthine limestone cave with its numerous rock formations, its stalactites, stalagmites, and abundance of overhead ceiling pockets.
Your guide will explain the rich history of the caves, telling the story of the people who have used the caves for various purposes over the years. The discovery of cave paintings, tools and fragments of pottery indicate that the original inhabitants of the caves were the Taino Indians who would have used the caves for shelter.
The next know inhabitants were the Spanish who, at the time of the British invasion of Jamaica (in 1655), hid in the caves to avoid capture. There is an underground tunnel which links the caves to the sand at Runaway Bay. It is believed that the Spanish used the tunnel in their attempt escape the Island and flee to Cuba. Runaway slaves have also used the caves to hide from their former masters. During World War 2, Rum barrels were stored here for safekeeping by the Jamaican Government.
Come and immerse yourself in the rich history and the mystery that is known as the Green Grotto.
- Exploring and learning about the history of the famous Rum Caves
- Scenic drive into the countryside
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Adults:$90.00 (each)
- Kids 3 – 11 years:$75.00 (each)
- Confirmation will be sent within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability and minimum tour requirements
- Tour duration is not inclusive of travel time to tour location
- All tours are weather permitting
- Age & Weight restrictions may apply
- From Falmouth or Montego Bay Please request a quote
5:00 hours approx. Minimum Age: 2 year(s)
Days of Operation & Tour Time(s):
- Monday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
- Tuesday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
- Wednesday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
- Thursday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
- Friday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
- Saturday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
- Sunday:10:00 AM, 02:00 PM
What to Bring:
- No Jewelry
- Insect Repellent
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Not recommended for people with back problems or who have had a recent back surgery
- Not recommended for people with respiratory or heart problems
- Not recommended for people with a recent arm/hand surgery
- Not handicapped accessible